Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"...And What Is Done With Love Is Well Done..."

I am not a Vincent Van Gogh geek, but his words are so very validating. They validate my locking Chris's Blackberry in the glovebox one Saturday resulting in a family quality time all weekend. We all do seemingly strange things sometimes, but when your intention is good, then it is well done, as Van Gogh said. Two days ago, another mom of an autistic son asked me just why I decided to speak so openly about our son's autism. She said, "We would rather keep things private to avoid social stigma - we just don't want to the world to know..."

There are a lot of things I don't want the world to know too. So, I very much respect that family's desire for privacy. But my answer to that question is one that I'd like the world to know about. Virtually everything we've learned during our journey with our son came from other parents who opened up to us, shared tips, published their stories, spoke out at support groups and, most importanly, wiped up my blubber while I cried out of control. When we first got the diagnosis of autism, a local stranger (now a great friend) heard about me through the grapevine and showed up at my door with boxes of sensory toys and literature that her autistic teenage twins had outgrown...

I think my point has been made. Autism research, advocacy and action are highly parent-driven efforts. While advocacy isn't for everyone, it is a must for us. So, instead of locking our bundle of information in the glovebox, we're dispersing it among the masses, globally. It's not ours to keep - the cycle of giving must continue to flow.

Well, I found out that Van Gogh didn't cut off his entire ear- just a portion of his earlobe. No philanthropist, but still a generous giver...

2 comments:

Little Green Cherry Tree said...

Hi Susan,
I usually don't comment, but I do read all of your emails and blogs. Keep doing what you do, sharing information is good for others to recieve as it is good for you to provide! It may not be for everyone to share, but I do believe that it is for you. Keep up the excellent work!

-Jackie Weaver-Bey

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,
Until now I have been a silent observer of your blogs as well as the comments, but I wanted to wrtie this time to simply tell you, well said. You are doing an excellent job of openly and articulatey conveying information.
You are inspiring.